Schiit Hel 2 Review | "What is the second circle of Hell?"

Disclaimer: The Hel 2 was sent to me by Schiit Audio, they did not do anything to influence my opinion. Huge thanks to Schiit Audio for the Hel 2 sample unit.
 
Introduction & Overview
 
Introduction:
"What is the second circle of Hell? As I write this, I’m away from the internet, so I can’t cheat and look it up. But I’m sure someone knows it. And I’m sure it’s not good. Which is very much unlike our Hel 2. Because this is a heckuva sequel. Definitely Aliens vs Alien, if you know what I mean." 
 
That is the first paragraph from the "2021, Chapter 4 The Second Circle" the relevant post about the Hel 2 from Schiit Co-Founder Jason Stoddard. I highly recommend reading it. 

The Hel 2 came very quickly and out of nowhere. The original Hel was a product I very much enjoyed and I know many people since its launch 17 months ago also have enjoyed theirs. Someone even asked me not 3 months ago if I thought a Hel or Fulla 3 update would be coming this year and I was wrong in saying it wouldn't be until 2022 at the earliest. But here we are they managed to sneak it out before the end of Q1. 

I feel Schiit under estimated how popular the Hel was going to be, and how many different use cases people would buy it for. Heck even I didn't see my self using one daily, but I do. The original Hel sits next to my bed for nightly use before I go to sleep. An from what I have gathered, the Hel 2 is also flying off the shelves. I know after the announcement post I made tons of people let me know they picked one up. An its already on back order. So sadly if your reading this and end up deciding to get one your in for a bit of a wait.
 
Specs:
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.3db
  • Maximum Power: 16 Ohms: 1350mW RMS
  • Maximum Power: 32 ohms: 1200mW RMS
  • Maximum Power: 50 ohms: 800mW RMS
  • Maximum Power: 300 ohms: 200mW RMS
  • THD: <0.0008%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
  • IMD: <0.0008%, CCIR
  • SNR: >110db, A-weighted, referenced to 1V RMS
  • Crosstalk: >-80dB, 20Hz-20KHz
  • Output Impedance (headphones): 0.25 ohms
  • Output Impedance (line out): 75 ohms
  • Gain: Low and High, selectable via front panel. Low has maximum output of 1.3V RMS, high has maximum output of 8VRMS.
  • USB Receiver: C-Media CM6635
  • DAC: AKM AK4490 with TI OPA1656-based filter stage
  • Sample Rates and Bit Depths: 
  • USB Playback: 16/44.1 to 32/384 supported without drivers on Windows 10, Mac, Linux, Android (any UAC 2 device) with autoswitching to UAC1 for PS4, PS5, and Switch consoles.
  • USB Input: 48kHz
  • Optical Input: 16/44.1 to 24/192
  • Output Stage: TI OPA1656 (4 amp stages per channel) 
  • Power Supply: Via USB, with +/- 12V rails via high-current dual-polarity switching regulator, with inductor filtering and local regulation
  • Power Consumption: 2.5W typical
  • Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.375” (including knob)
  • Weight: 13oz
 
Whats In The Box:
  • (1) Hel 2
  • (2) 3' USB-C to USB-A Cables (Listed incorrectly as 6')
  • (1) 1/4" to 1/8" adapter
  • (1) Headset Splitter (Not listed in the documentation and available for purchase separately)
  • (1) 2.1A 5VDC wall adapter
2 small things to note about whats included.
 
1.  My 1/4" to 1/8" adapter was defective, but that's not an issue as i can only assume Schiit will happily send you a new one if that happened.
2. The wall adapter that is included is different from the one that came with the Hel it is smaller and more compact but it's also completely glossy black plastic so its going to get scratched up and look terrible very quickly. (not an issue just an observation)
 
Changes:
Now with the update it has gotten even better than ever, so lets talk about what they have changed and I'll leave a spread sheet of it below. 
 

Fulla 3
Hel (Discontinued)
Hel 2
Max Power, 32 ohms
250mW RMS
1000mW RMS
1200mW RMS
IMD
<0.002%, CCIR
<0.0015%, CCIR
<0.0008%, CCIR
SNR
>105db, A-weighted, reference to 1V RMS
>108db, A-weighted, reference to 1V RMS
>110db, A-weighted, reference to 1V RMS
Output Impedance
0.5 ohms
0.25 ohms
0.25 ohms
Gain
1.7 (4.6db)
1 (0db) or 5 (14db)
1 (0db) or 5 (14db)
USB Receiver
CM6631A
CM6631A
CM6635
DAC
AKM AK4490 with TI OPA1662-based filter stage
AKM AK4490 with TI OPA1662-based filter stage
AKM AK4490 with TI OPA1656-based filter stage
USB Sample Rates & Bit Depth
16/44.1 to 24/192
16/44.1 to 24/192
16/44.1 to 32/384
Output Stages
TI LMH6643 x 2 (1 per channel)
TI OPA1688 (4 amp stages per channel)
TI OPA1656 (4 amp stages per channel)
Power Consumption
0.8W typical
2.5W typical
2.5W typical
Inputs
USB only
USB only
USB, S/PDIF
UAC
UAC 2
UAC 2
UAC 2/1 via Switch
Connector Type
Micro B
Micro B
USB C
Price
$99USD
$189USD
$199USD
 
UAC2/1 Auto Switching (AKA PlayStation Support): I think this is maybe the most excited change for most people. The original Hel only supported UAC2 which made sense as most people don't need legacy UAC1 support. But for some reason some company's like Sony/PlayStation refuse to update things, heck even the brand new PS5 only has UAC1 support like what the HEL. But at least they support that, Xbox won't support either. So sadly the Hel 2 still doesn't work on Xbox fully (not Schiits fault).

Digital Only Inputs: The Hel 2 now comes with an Optical Input on-top of the USB input. This means as a headphone only audio device you can use it with your TV, last gen Xbox, and anything really with the right adapter. But that came at the cost of the 3.5mm Analog input which I wonder how many people even used it.
 
USB C: Finally! USB C should be moving forward the small form-factor standard. But it seems it was a lot more work than most of us expected (read about it in Chapter 4). Hopefully they use USB C more moving forward. I'm still a fan of USB B (not micro B) and would be fine with that still being used but anything using Micro B should switch to USB C.
 
More Power!: Schiit switched out the OPA1688/OPA1662 op-amps for the newer OPA1656 op-amps leading to an almost 50% increase in output (they rate it at 20% as a safe bet). This also means the Hel two now only uses 1 type of op-amp which also happens to be one of the newest. Very cool. (Spoiler It's also an op-amp that I like a lot)
 
New USB Receiver: Schiit has gotten rid of the C-Media CM6631 and replaced it with the CM6635. Which offers a lot of benefits, from simply costing a bit less, to not requiring external memory, using less power and much more. There is a lot about why its an upgrade but your better off reading it in Chapter 4. 

Improved Measurements: While they were tweaking the Hel into the Hel 2 they were able to improve the performance and it now measures better as well. 
 
Quick AKM Notice

First I want to interrupt this review with, no not an ad, but some important info in general which is very relevant to this product. So I feel most of you won't have heard about this, but the company that makes the DAC chips that many brands including Schiit use, AKM. Last year had a devastating factory fire, so devastating that the whole factory was pretty much gone. So that means AKM won't be producing very important chips that company's need. Also when they get back up and running there is no promise that they will be able to make every single product they used to, most likely they will have to cut out a bunch and focus on core products. This is relevant to the Hel 2 because the Hel 2 uses a AKM4490 DAC chip and a AK5720 ADC. Lucky as I understand Schiit happened to order a huge stock of AKM parts so there fine for a while. But with no ETA on when anyone will be able to get more AKM stock some of there DACs, and products like the Fulla 3 and Hel 2 either won't be in stock for a while or will need a change. In the Chapter 4 post I linked Jason talks how they have a Hel 2 working with different DAC and ADC chips. So as far as the Hel 2 goes it seems once they run out of AKM stock they will have to release a new version of this product with some different parts. If this happens I will get one in and do an updated review on how it changed the sound. This may not happen and if it does there is no ETA on when it will. But I figured I should quickly talk about this. Don't worry to much, I'm sure whatever changes they make, they won't put it out unless it still sounds good, but it will sound different.
 
Build & Design

I feel like there is only so much I can say that I haven't said before about Schiits build and design. But for some of you who may be new, ill go through it yet again.

The Hel 2 uses the slightly updated design language that is still very much routed in the classic Schiit designs of the past.

It uses a 2 piece full metal chassis. This offers a nice amount of weight and heft while it sits on your desk. The Hel 2 continues with the exclusive Black top plate and red bottom, to represent the flames of well Hel. I know a lot of people are not a fan of this colour scheme, and I at first when I got the Hel 1, even I rolled my eyes at it. As every company that dips there toes into gaming has to do red and I was annoyed, but honestly over time I grew to like it. It's a dark enough red that I find it works as more of an accent piece rather than needing to match your self up.
 
Essentially the Hel 2's shape is Schiit small chassis (modi, magni, loki, vali, etc) turned sideways, with a big beautiful knob on top. Making for a more user friendly all in one design. 
 
Another small change on the Hel 2 that I didn't mention was the top 2 screws are darker in colour now. Not a big change but it gives a more pleasing look.
 
Overall it's all metal, designed built in the US of A, feels and looks premium. What more can I say? It's great and functions fantastic, I really like the Hel design.

I/O:
Top:
  • Volume Knob: A big smooth metal volume knob. 
Front: 
  • Microphone Level Knob: Controls your microphones audio levels.
  • 3.5mm Microphone Input: This is where you plug your Mic, from either your headset or simply if your using a separate 3.5mm mic.
  • Input Select Switch: Toggle between USB input and Optical Input.
  • Gain Select Switch: Changing between the 2 gain stages.
  • 6.3mm Headphone Output: Plug your headphones into here, TRS only.
 Rear:
  • Preamp Output: "Plug this in to your powered monitors (or a power amp) using a 1/8” TRS to dual RCA cable (for most products--others may need different cables, consult the manufacturer."
  • Toslink Optical Input: "Connect to a smart TV or other device with an optical output. Some smart TVs will need to be set to “Stereo” or “Two-Channel PCM” for this to work."
  • USB Power Input: Connect to the included 2.1A wall-wart to provide the Hel power.
  • USB Data Input: Connect to your USB source. (the documentation says via a Micro USB cable but the Hel 2 uses USB C)
  • Power Switch: So you can turn it on or off. (I'll expect rear mounted power switches on all in ones)
 
Sound

The new OPA1656 they have used are something I have a soft spot for. There affordable, they have a solid amount of low end impact, and the rest of the sound is about neutral with no top end glare, or roll off. There really nice. An there implementation here is exactly what id hope for. The Hel 2 definitely sounds better. While I still wouldn't call it overall better than a Magni/Modi stack it doesn't feel like as much of a loss going for this all in one. I'd even take this preference wise over many more analytical $200 stacks.

The 1656 also brings a nice amount of spaciousness. Not a ton but it helps subvert that front wall sound that the Full 2/3 has. 

There is not a lot I can say, overall it sounds more balanced and flat than the Hel 1 which was a bit warm. It also brings up overall resolution, brings down noise floor, and adds some impact on the low end while cleaning up the highs. 

Simply put this thing just sounds really good.

Power:
 
Power wise the original Hel offered what I considered to be enough power for what most people will be using this for, and now the Hel 2 offers even more clean power. Schiits claimed power specs are very accurate (I bring this up as often company do things to make there results look better than they actually are, Schiit does not seem to). You can expect 1200mW RMS into a 32ohm load, making it I think the most powerful sub $200 AIO that I recommend.

Mic:
 
Sadly I do apologize for still no mic tests. But like the previous Hel the Hel 2 has a very nice sounding ADC. They are what I'd call the standard for gaming ADC quality moving forward. There not compressed or digital sounding like may other sub $200 options. Its just nice and clean.

DAC Issues:
 
Not something for most to worry about. But the previous Hel hated my test rig (Z170A MoBo) and the Hel 2 is no different. This is simply because of driver issues on my side because I have to install and uninstall so many drivers when testing audio gear. As a consumer you don't really have to worry about this. But i feel i should mention it like i did before.

Conclusion
 
The Hel was one of my favorite AMP/DAC combo units, the Hel 2 is no different. The Hel 2 how ever with the small fixes and improvements that were implemented is now my #1 choice for an all in one under $200 for not only gaming but just overall use.  

The Hel 2 takes everything you loved about the Hel 1 and modernizes it and adds UAC1 back-support, while improving performance, power output and overall sound, leading to just a plain better experience. I can easily recommend this.

If your Looking for a AMP/DAC Combo unit in general the Hel 2 should be very high on your list, and if your looking for one with an ADC then the Hel 2 should be at the top.
 
Pros:
  • Great Sound
  • Lots of Power
  • Optical Input
  • USB C (moving forward I wont be including USB C as a pro as I think its mandatory over Micro USB)
  • Great Mic ADC
  • Great Form Factor and Design
  • ON/Off switch (underrated feature)
  • The Toggles make me Happy
  • Plug and Play
  • UAC2/UAC1 auto switch for wider compatibility. (Including PS consoles)
Cons:
  • No Gaming Focused Features (a Pro and Con)
  • Only Available in Black/Red.
  • Short Cables (nit picking)
  • Not Available in all markets