Hifiman HE-400se International Version | Budget Planar King?


Disclaimer: The HE-400se was sent to me by Hifiman, they did not do anything to influence my opinion.

Introduction
 
This review will be a little shorter than normal as I have just reviewed the HE-X4 which is very similar. This review will be mostly a comparison vs that headphone and a quick comment on the HE-400se China version. For a more detailed rundown please view my HE-X4 review, which will also be linked a few times in this review.
 
The newest member of the HE-400 family, makes some big changes and only a year after the now discontinued HE-400i 2020 was released (the HE-400 2020 may still be sold in the EU only, from what I can see). It not only switches to dual-sided magnets, but also gets the new Hifiman headband, and implements the Hifimans Stealth Magnets. The HE400se China Version dropped first and was exclusive to the Chinese market. Then the international version was released which has the Stealth magnets and a silver cable.
 
Hifiman just keeps releasing more and more Headphones it's getting hard to keep up. So after this review, I will be working on a permanent post that breaks down their Sub $500 lineup and eventually ill expand it to the full lineup. 

Headphone Specs:
  • Frequency Response: 20 Hz-20 kHz
  • Impedance: 25 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 91 dB
  • Weight: (390g)
  • Price: $149.00
Build/Looks
 
Build and looks are a bit different compared to the HE-X4. Build wise there very similar but I am a bit more confident in this new Hifiman Headband in terms of long-term durability.
 
The yolks are just as durable while being different and have free moving cup swivel. The cups are silver which I like the look of but I dislike that there glossy.
 
Overall while I like the looks of these more I think more will like the more neutral looking and slimmer HE-X4.
 
Build wise say they're both good but I'd feel more confident in the HE-400se. 
 
Cable: This cable is unfortunate. I don't mean to sound harsh but this is maybe the worse cable I have ever used. It's stiff, it holds its shape, it's kind of thin and just a mess. I couldn't use it and would highly recommend replacing it.
 
It looks nice as it reminds me of a nice silver IEM cable but it's just not usable.
Comfort
 
Comfort I find very good. The HE-X4 I said wasn't the most comfortable headphone, the same goes with the older HE-4xx. When it comes to medium-weight or heavier headphones I dislike that old Hifiman headphone for comfort. The HE-400se thankfully uses the new style of headphones and it's pretty nice. I find it distributes weight better but id still likes to see a small indent at the top of the pad to help prevent hot spots on the ridge of your skull. The HE-400se also is about 30g lighter.

These use the same Focus-A Pads as the HE-X4 and there still just as lovely. While being a tad small from a height perspective.

The new headband has slightly less clamp but neither has high amounts of clamp. The new yolk also I find more comfortable as it freely moves and forms to your head better.
Sound
My measurement rig is an industry-standard clone. So it's accurate up to 3k compared to most GRAS rigs. Over 3k it's fairly off. When I talk about tonality and tuning it's based mostly on what I hear
 
For more detailed sound notes please check out the HE-X4 review
 
While these do have stealth magnets and there are some differences there extremely small. Most could even just be from unit variation.
 
These have maybe a bit better speed and sound a bit more detailed in the treble. But that could even be placebo it's so close.
 
Overall they have the Hifiman house sound, its a very neutral overall tuning, with a bit of bass roll-off. But the treble is much more balanced vs the normal Hifiman house sound. These sound shockingly well balanced and overall very technically competent. Mid-range is a tad odd but it isn't too bad and a small bit of EQ can easily fix it. Treble may still be a tad bright for some.
 
Conclusion
 
Just like with the HE-X4 conclusion I am extremely impressed with these. They offer one of the best values in audio right now. If you're looking for your first Planar or just a great headphone under $150 this may just be the best option.
 
The HE-X4 does offer the better value as it's pretty much the same thing. But there are 2 important things to note. The HE400se are more comfortable but have a way worse cable and cost $20 more. So which should you pick? 
 
Well for me id take these for comfort. As you can always get a new cable and I think that's worth the $20. But if you are not worried about the comfort and just want a better stock cable and to save $20 (which you could invest in making the comfort better, then get the HE-X4. 
 
It's hard to say which one to get. In general, it's going to come down to if you want better stock comfort or a better value. Both are fantastic.
 
Note: Just a quick note about the HE400se china version. It should be the same as the HE-X4 with the same cable but in silver and only available in China. So importing it may be a good option for many.
 
Pros:
  • Fantastic Overall Sound
  • Balanced Tuning 
  • Fantastic Sub $200 Value
  • Solid Build
  • Good Staging
  • Great Ear Pads
  • Maybe the best comfort in the 400 series  
Cons:
  • Plasticy Timbre
  • Weakish Dynamics and Speed
  • A Peak and Dip in the mid range (easy to EQ out)
 
Update: I have heard some other differences between this and the HD-X4 and ill add them here once I pin them down better. 
 
The main thing I think I heard was a difference in Timbre. The HE400se has a more plasticity low end planar treble but it could also just be some artificial clarity happening. More testing is needed.