Schiit Modi 3E | From the Ashes of Tragedy

Disclaimer: The Modi 3E was sent to me by Schiit, they did not do anything to influence my opinion.

Introduction & Overview
 
I think a little backstory on why this product exists is needed.
 
We all know 2020 was one of those years where everything went wrong and in the audio market, it was no different with a few awful accidents. In October maybe the worst of them all happened when the Japanese company AKM had it's most important factory engulfed in flames for 3 days. This was the factory that made it's most important DACs and ADCs used by many companies including Schiit and now it was completely destroyed inside. So when the news came out and the realization that the much-needed AKM chips wouldn't be available any time soon companies had to make a choice, have empty shelves or adapt.
 
Luckily it would seem Schiit had enough AKM chips to last them well over a year. But now that the stockpile is running dry and after months of experimenting with chips, we finally have Schiit's solution for the AKM shortage. The E series. So far as of writing this, it consists of the Modi 3E, Hell 2E and Fulla E. A Modius E should also be added to this list soon.

But the question is did all of this work that Schiit has put into implementing the ESS ES9018, pay off? Well, this time I'm going to spoil it in the introduction. This is good, like really good, but keep reading to find out why.
 
Specs:
  • Inputs: USB, Toslink SPDIF, Coaxial SPDIF  
  • Sample Rates and Bit Depths: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB, Coax, and Optical
  • USB Input Receiver: Schiit Unison USB™
  • SPDIF  Input Receiver: AKM 4113 
  • D/A Conversion IC: ESS ES9018
  • Analog Summing, Active Filtering: Based on OPA1656 with precision thin-film resistors, DC coupled 
  • Output: RCA Stereo Analog (single-ended)
  • Output Impedance: 75 ohms
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB
  • Maximum Output: 2.0V RMS 
  • THD: <0.0002%, 20Hz-20KHz, 0dB
  • IMD: <0.0002%, CCIR
  • S/N: >118dB, referenced to 2V RMS, unweighted
  • Crosstalk: Greater than -124dB, 20-20kHz
  • Power Supply: USB powered with +/-5V switching rail generator; auxiliary USB power input for 0mA USB power draw devices (like phones and tablets)
  • Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”
  • Weight: 1 lb
  • Price: $129USD
  • Link: https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1
What's In The Box:
  • Modi 3E
  • 5V USB Wall-Wart 
  • USB Micro Cable (still micro USB and not USB C a bummer)
 
Build & Design
At this point, pictures do a better job than me at talking about the Build & Design. This is the small Schiit chassis, that they use on all their entry-level unit's. It's an all-metal chassis with a super satisfying toggle for input selection.

It's available in black and Silver. It has a white light indicating when it's on on the front that I prefer but some may dislike.

At this point, I don't have a lot to say about Schiit's build and design. It's very industrial looking, it's built very well, it has a good weight to it and I really like it.

I/O:

Front:
  • Power LED: 
  • Input Selector:
Rear:
  • RCA Analog Outputs:
  • Coaxial Digital Outputs:
  • Optical Digital Outputs:
  • Micro USB Data and Power Input:
  • Micro USB Power Input:
Notes:
  • I do wish it used USB-C, but I understand it's not as simple as swapping the port and calling it a day. But with USB C on some of the other products I wish we could have gotten it here.
  • The price of the Modi has been raised by $30.
  • Sadly some issues with the manufacturing of the Silver Chassis along with metal price increases lead to them having had to switch to a new process that has raised the price by $10. If you are buying one of these and noticed silver is listed twice the cheaper one is the old Cases.

Sound
 
The short and simple for most people is it still sounds amazing for the cost. If you're just looking for an entry-level DAC this is still going to be a great buy and still one of my top recommendations.

But if I really get into it and compare it to the previous Modi 3+ honestly while this may be controversial, I think I prefer this new Modi a lot more. 

So I'm not going to say it's better, it is mostly just different. But the new sound is more so my preference in terms of what I want out of a DAC.

My main complaint about the AKM Velvet DAC chips has been the fact they're a bit soft and a bit V-Shaped. So Bass comes out a tad limp in terms of dynamics but also has a bit of bloom. The mid-range feels slightly de-emphasized and Treble is always a bit spicy really high up. But this is overall a very pleasant and fun sound. This is sort of how most but not all devices with those AKM chips ended up sounding. Including the Modi 3 and 3+.

But now the Modi 3E, well it sounds more like what I'd expect from an ESS DAC. But with some of the issues turned down a bit. So in general most good ESS DACs tend to have a slightly bright edge to them, and can often be a little cold. But this also comes with a sense of more resolution. The Modi 3E is definitely an ESS DAC, but that slight brightness while still there is not that bad. There is definitely a bit more detail and it's not as limp as the 3+. 
 
Staging wise there really isn't much difference at all, the E may image a bit better. But in blind testing, I didn't notice much.
 
Sound Conclusion:
 
So while I described the Modi 3 and 3+ as slightly V-shaped with a limp low end. The Modi 3E is still a bit more fun, with a bit of extra detail vs what I call an insipid DAC. But it's closer to neutral with a hint of brightness and some extra detail. This is definitely my preference for a DAC and IMO actually a better pairing for Schiit's amps.
 
Conclusion

Overall I still find it hard to not recommend the Modi as the go to entry level DAC. While the price has gone up $30, $40 if you want silver. At that price it's still my favorite entry level DAC.
 
The new ESS sound I like more than the AKM Velvet sound, and with the same great all-metal build what more could you ask for (besides USB-C). 
 
This still gets my highest recommendation. Good job Schiit I'm so glad the ESS switch worked out and I cant wait to see whats coming next this year.
 
Pros:
  • Great Sound
  • Great Measurements (if that's your thing)
  • 3 Digital Inputs
  • All-metal housing 
  • Available in 2 Colours
In-Between:
  • Sound Change (I consider this a Pro, some may prefer the AMK Velvet sound)
Cons:
  • USB Micro B (I understand why but I have to stick to my guns)
  • Price Increase 
  • Silver Costs More
Discussion Links:
Reddit -